What is the difference between Semrush Traffic Analytics and Google Analytics?
The central difference between our service and Google Analytics is that Google Analytics is an internal service for studying your own website, while Semrush is an external service for studying another company’s website.
Since you can’t get into another site’s internal statistics, we offer the next best thing.
Traffic Analytics is intended for market research and competitive analysis - you’ll never get to look inside the Google Analytics of your top competitors, partners, media outlets or prospects - but our tools and reports offer the closest look you can get.
How Semrush Traffic Analytics gathers data:
Semrush Traffic Analytics is based on petabytes of clickstream data that comes from multiple proprietary and 3rd party data sources, Semrush’s proprietary AI and machine learning algorithms and Big Data technologies.
The data is accumulated and approximated from the user behavior of over 200 million real internet users and over a hundred different apps and browser extensions. We offer our "estimated accuracy" metric at the top of the report so you can gauge how accurate the reported numbers are.
How Google Analytics gathers data:
If you only want to analyze your own website traffic without comparing it with others, we recommend referring to your own Google Analytics.
There might be discrepancies in traffic numbers between Traffic Analytics and Google Analytics due to the fact that they gather data differently. Please note that the tools are not interchangeable - they are used for different purposes.
All numbers in Semrush Traffic Analytics are perfectly comparable, meaning you can match two or more websites in the tool and see how their metrics differ from each other in %.
- What is the difference between Traffic Analytics and Domain Analytics?
- Why is there limited or no data in Traffic Analytics for the website I entered?
- How to Export Traffic Analytics data to Google Sheets using API
- How to Create a Custom Traffic Analytics PDF Report
- What’s the difference? Position Tracking Pages vs. Traffic Analytics Top Pages
- Traffic Analytics Overview Report
- Traffic Analytics Audience Insights Report
- Traffic Analytics Traffic Journey Report
- Traffic Analytics Top Pages Report
- Traffic Analytics Geographic Distribution Report
- Traffic Analytics Subdomains Report
- Traffic Analytics Bulk Analysis
- Traffic Analytics Subfolders Report