Notes on Semrush allow you to highlight dates in graphs and charts in certain Semrush tools and reports with custom information. Users have the ability to add and edit their own notes, and Semrush automatically adds notes on days with major Google updates and Semrush database updates that could have an effect on rankings.
Notes can be found on graphs in:
- Domain Overview
- Organic Research
- Backlinks reports
- Semrush Sensor
- Position Tracking
- Site Audit
- Backlink Audit
- Organic Traffic Insights
- On Page SEO Checker
There is a standalone Notes section in Semrush where users can search through all notes and filter by Category (Google organic updates, Semrush, etc.), Tool (Site Audit, Position Tracking, etc.), or Project.
There are several different types of notes you’ll see in Semrush:
- Google organic algorithm updates (depicted by the “G” Google icon)
- Google paid algorithm updates (depicted by the “G” Google icon)
- Unconfirmed Google updates (these are hidden by default)
- Semrush updates (depicted by red note icon)
- My Notes (user generated and depicted by red note icon)
- Semrush Sensor (depicted by red note icon)
Notes in the project tools like Position Tracking or Site Audit can be added to a specific campaign and will not show up with your general notes in Analytics reports (Domain Overview, Organic research etc).
For instance, if you have refreshed your site recently and are wondering how it’s affecting your site’s ranking, add a note to your Position Tracking campaign.