What is Search Volume in SEMrush?
Search volume is the average number of times a specific search query is entered on a search engine per month.
The volume in the main SEMrush database represents the number of searches using national level data. Therefore, volume can change when you change the regional database you're viewing (US, Canada, UK, etc).
To find a keyword’s search volume, enter the keyword in the SEMrush search bar to pull the Keyword Overview report:
In addition to the monthly search volume in a regional database, the Keyword Overview will also show you a keyword’s global volume. This is the sum of the keyword’s monthly search volumes across all of our regional databases.
Average monthly search volume represents the number of times the keyword was searched over the past twelve months divided by 12. For seasonal and trending keywords, this number could be higher or lower than the average in certain months.
SEMrush search volumes are updated on a monthly basis. This is to account for the most recent search data from Google and changes in the search results. Historical data is available to research the recorded average search volumes of keywords in every month dating back to January 2012.
In addition to volume, SEMrush provides the CPC and competitiveness of keywords with our Competition Level and Keyword Difficulty metrics. CPC and Competition level relate to Google Ads and Keyword Difficulty relates to SEO.
Local Search Volume
SEMrush Volume Calculation Method
To calculate volumes with the highest accuracy, we use machine learning algorithms and petabytes of accumulated data from search engines. The latter gives us a huge advantage in terms of the ability to train the algorithms we’ve created.
Here’s what the process of volume calculation looks like:
- SEMrush takes sets of data from third-party providers and overlays it with historical clickstream data acquired from reliable sources.
- SEMrush forwards the resulting set of data to a computing cluster and receives a computational model.
- SEMrush applies this model to get the volumes for billions of keywords.
- Tell me about historical data.
- What is Live Update?
- What Does Results Mean?
- What Does SERP Features Mean For My Keywords?
- What is Authority Score?
- What SERP Features can SEMrush Track?
- Why Does No Data Show For My Keyword/Domain?
- What mobile databases are available on SEMrush?
- How many databases does SEMrush now have?