There are many ways to access your own website’s statistics but accessing your competitors’ data and evaluating their success in the digital sphere can be a bit tricky. That’s where Semrush Traffic Analytics comes in handy. It has a massive amount of data on pretty much any big website on the web.
Following this guide, you can get insights into your competitor’s strategy by analyzing their traffic journey. This is vital because it reveals plenty of opportunities for your own digital growth and ways that you can borrow from your rivals.
This will be a useful quick guide for any marketing agencies or consultants pitching to new clients. In order to uncover challenges and issues the client might have, it’s important to assess the prospect’s main traffic drivers and the competitive landscape.
Use Semrush Traffic Analytics to help understand more about a website’s visitors, where they come from, what pages they check, and their user behavior.
You can see the traffic for this particular website has been going down and the seasonality is very visible.
You can filter the visitors for just the UK since we now want to understand the local intent of the visitors.
To understand the peak season better, use the historical data filter. You can select several months or even a year (up to 24 last months) to measure performance of your competitors.
The average duration on the website is astonishing. Almost 7 minutes with visits of 3 pages and less. The company should identify which page makes people stay for that long and improve it.
As for the traffic sources, the main driver of traffic is the direct search. Referral traffic is quite strong, however, the graph shows certain spikes which indicate that there is no strong PR workflow in place and referrals are highly inconsistent.
To understand competitors’ strategy and the ways they got to current success, it’s essential to conduct competitors’ research on a regular basis. Luckily, with Traffic Analytics, you can learn a lot from your competitors and adapt their strategies to improve your digital performance.
The Top Pages report reveals the website pages most traffic goes to and you can see which pages are generating the most visitors.
You can filter these top pages by their traffic sources to see what pages are getting the most traffic from each channel.
Traffic Analytics enables you to compare up to 5 different websites. As part of this example let’s look at hotelcaferoyal.com and see the differences in their competitors traffic sources.
The Ned outperforms Cafe Royal in the direct, search, social, and paid traffic, but Cafe Royal has a slightly stronger backlink profile.
Considering that hotel Cafe Royal has been there long before the internet existed, its backlink profile should be stronger historically. On all other fronts, Ned’s marketing team is doing a better job advertising than for the Cafe Royal. If you notice some of these similar situations with your own company, it can be an indication that you should focus your marketing efforts on specific channels.
Understanding the market of a company is often just as vital as understanding their visitors. By using Market Explorer you’ll quickly be able to see the landscape of the domain’s market. At the top of the report, you can see the Growth Quadrant. This shows you the competitive landscape of the top industry players. This gives you a great place to visualize how your niche is shaping up.
Semrush offers reports and insights on all traffic sources with Organic, Advertising, Backlinks, and Social Media analytics. So after quick traffic analysis, you’ll be able to proceed and dig deeper into every specific channel to identify the gaps.
- To analyze your competitor’s traffic in detail and get information on what keywords they are ranking for, what backlinks they have, go to the Domain Overview section. Get ideas from your competitor to improve your SEO and PPC.
- To analyze your competitor’s backlinks profile to better understand their backlink building strategy go to the Backlinks Analytics report.
- To analyze your competitor’s traffic distribution by country, go to the Geo Distribution report of the Traffic Analytics Tool.
- Understand what traffic sources work best for them. If you haven’t actively used any traffic sources that bring a huge number of visitors to your competitor, you’ll want to make great efforts to make the most out of them.
- Find new backlinks opportunities analyzing the domains that often link to your rival.
- Expand your reach and strategies to your target audience in new search engines.
- Find new traffic opportunities in different social networks.
- Identify trusted websites in your niche and find prospects for partnership, PR campaigns, or comarketing.